Skip to main content


Hello classmates!

Today I will talk about three important women in sociology. They are considered the mothers of sociology: Harriet Martineau, Beatrice Potter Webb, and Marianne Weber.
They broke the canon of difficult times for the feminine gender, trying to demonstrate social thoughts with brilliance.

Harriet Martineau was born in 1802 and died in 1876. She was an economist and British writer, beginning to publish at the age of 19. Her most important work is “illustration of economy politics”. She identified herself with the current of thought of John Locke.


Beatrice Potter Webb was born in 1858 and died in 1943. She was a sociologist and British economist influenced by Herbert Spencer, friend of her father. Working with her father she began to sympathize with the socialist thought, seeking to solve the problems of the working class. Along with her husbandshe published “the history of syndicalism” in 1894. Years later, when traveling to de Soviet Union, she got to know soviet socialism, then Webb published “Soviet communist: ¿A new civilization?” in 1937.

Marianne Weber was born in 1860 and died in 1954. She was a German sociologist and a feminist activist . Her husband was Max Weber, with whom she published the work “economy and society”. She was one of the first women tp have a PhD, her work focused on the problems related to women, getting to write “authority and autonomy in the matrimony”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today the idea is to talk about the English classes in the university, give our opinion about the dynamics of the classes and talk about what we learned but I want to start talking about my experience with the English courses since my elementary school, in order of evidencing the deficit of English courses in my time. The first thing to consider regarding my knowledge of the English language is that. W hen I was studying in my primary school, my teacher of English was not good, the class is very bad and boring although her knowledge was basic thinking that she was an older woman from a rural school, who never took training course after graduating from a teacher. When I was to high school my knowledge of English was wrong, whereby I had to take private English lessons to level with my classmates. The first year in the high school I had a good teacher of English but the next years a new teacher arrived to school, graduated of the University del Mar and she was not a very good teac...
My favorite piece of technology is the cellphone because among other uses it allows me to listen to music everywhere. I love listening to music. Since music players exist I remember having one, as listening audiocassettes, cds and downloading music; but when I was younger I thought it would be great to have an App in which I could listen to all the available music. I never had a defined taste on music, it depends on my mood the music that I want to listen to. When they created the spotify App, it was wonderful for me because spotify gives access to all kinds of music in the world. The only problem is that it if I am not a premium user one cannot reproduce the music as one would want, but randomly. So I used an illegal App to play the music as I liked, but they disabled this illegal App and when that happened I did not know what to do, since having music on my cell phone took a lot of memory in it. L uckily, a friend signed  me up for a family plan that includes me for only 1...
I'm not sure specifically that I want that continue study after I finish my sociology degree. But sometime I think about study an degree as journalism, because I like the national and international contingency, the jouralistic investigation, the investigation in field, etc. Although this would mean pay for other degree, study 4 or 5 years, more, and I don't know if I can pay or start a new project. Furthermore,  this year I meat some Mexican students of doctorate in agronomy who have invited me to continue my studies of postgraduate in Mexico trough state scholarships from the Mexican government for students of foreigners, the idea is to link economic sociology with agricultural production. This idea I like to much because I’m interested in meat the farming experience in other countries. The true is that I’m really interested in the regional decentralization, the education, economic productions, and the social reality of the regional localities for know the problems and solve...